May is National Military Appreciation Month
May is National Military Appreciation month, and I am honored to take part in bringing awareness to it. Just this past week, I visited an Air Force Base in west Texas. I got the opportunity to have a one-on-one tour of the base with a B1 Bomber pilot and unit commander. We visited several sites and with personnel assigned to him. At every location, it was apparent that his personnel appreciated his leadership. What I found very impressive was that his entire conversation steered accolades toward all the people that worked for him, from the senior members in his command to the most junior. I spoke with several of the airmen, and he had a positive, personal word to say about each and every one of them. For some, he spoke highly of their families. The commander spoke about his airmen with a sincere conviction, expressing how everything they do, down to the minutest detail is what allows pilots to operate a 390 million dollar aircraft in order to defend the American way of life. I left the base thinking to myself, if he is that proud of his personnel, certainly we can be proud of him and them as well.
DID YOU KNOW…
- The United States Army was founded on June 14, 1775.
- The United States Navy was founded in 1775.
- The United States Marine Corp was founded on November 10, 1775.
- The United States Air Force was founded on September 18, 1947.
- The first minorities to serve in the United States military were African Americans who served in the Revolutionary War.
- The first woman to serve in the United States military enlisted under her deceased brother’s name in 1782.
~ Kevin Zimmerman